Borsch. Buy Groceries at Amazon & Save. Borscht (English: / ˈ b ɔːr ʃ, ˈ b ɔːr ʃ t / ()) is a sour soup common in Eastern Europe. In English, the word "borscht" is most often associated with the soup's variant of Ukrainian origin, one of the most famous dishes of Ukrainian and Russian cuisine, made with beetroots as one of the main ingredients, which give the dish its distinctive red color.
Add the chopped onions to the pot. My mother's basic borscht recipe begins with a base of chopped onions, cabbage and celery sautéed in butter, fresh-pressed (or grated) garlic, a can of diced tomatoes and a few cups of chicken broth (or beef broth, or even water with a little chicken or beef bouillon added for flavour). Borsch is one of the most well-known Slavic foods. You can have Borsch using 20 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Borsch
- It's 3-4 lbs of Beef Roast (Bone or Chuck).
- You need 2 1/2 qts of Water (boiling).
- It's 1/2 c of Dry Lima Beans (large).
- Prepare 2 of Potatoes (small, whole and peeled).
- It's 2 of Bay Leaves (whole).
- Prepare 1 Tbsp of Salt.
- You need 1/2 tsp of Pepper.
- Prepare 1/2 c of Carrots (diced).
- You need 1 c of Celery (dices).
- It's 1 of Onion (medium, chopped).
- Prepare 1 c of Frozen Mixed Vegetables.
- Prepare 1 Can of Tomato Sauce (small).
- It's 16 oz of Can Tomatoes (approximately 1 lb).
- You need 1/2 c of Bell Pepper (chopped).
- You need 2 c of Cabbage (chopped).
- Prepare 2 Tbsp of Parsley, (chopped).
- You need 1/2 tsp of Dill Weed.
- It's 1 of Yellow Chili (optional).
- Prepare 1 Tbsp of Sugar.
- It's 1 tsp of M.S.G.
It is a beet soup made with many other vegetables. This version is made with beef, potatoes, cabbage, lots of aromatic vegetables and is served with fresh herbs and sour cream. I share all my tips for a vibrantly bright red borsch that has so much incredible flavor. Lovely recipe you have here. we do enjoy red beet borscht once in a while but us living in Canada and being huge fans of Doukhobor borsch which is a vegetarian creamy borsch consisting of potatoes that are boiled in a large pot of salted water along with carrots, celery and one small beet which is used only to add a bit of colour.
- Wash beef in a colander. Bring water to boil in a pot. Add beef, lima beans, and potatoes and bring to boil. Add salt and pepper and simmer for approximately 2 hours until the meat is tender..
- Remove meat and add carrots, celery, onions, and mixed vegetables. Cook 15 minutes..
- Break up tomatoes by hand and add the rest of the ingredients. Simmer for 30 minutes longer..
- Remove potatoes and mash, then return to the soup..
- Remove the bay leaf and chili..
- Before serving, take the roast that was cooked in the soup and cut it up into 1 1/2" squares and place into a casserole dish one layer deep. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake in a 375 degree oven until browned. Serve meat on the side with mustard or horse radish. Eat with the soup and bread..
Borscht is one of those soups that has dozens of variations. This version of the classic Russian beet soup uses lots of vegetables and a touch of bacon for extra flavor. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, and cook until tender. Stir in the tomato paste and water until well blended.