Prawn Tempura Onigiri Rice Balls. Tenmusu (Shrimp Tempura Onigiri) Recipe; What is Onigiri (Rice Balls)? Bring the combined salty, umami flavour of prawns and seaweed together with this prawn tempura onigiri, or tenmusu, recipe. Originating from Nagoya, tenmusu are nori seaweed wrapped onigiri rice balls, each stuffed with a whole prawn that has been covered in crispy tempura and deep-fried to perfection.
You can make prawn tempura yourself or. Mizutani, the owner of the tempura set-meal restaurant (天ぷら定食店) was too busy to make lunch for her husband so she quickly made him rice balls with shrimp tempura. At that time she cut the shrimp tempura in half and stuffed the tempura inside so the rice balls didn't show any part of tempura. You can have Prawn Tempura Onigiri Rice Balls using 10 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Prawn Tempura Onigiri Rice Balls
- You need 1 of Prawn tempura.
- Prepare 1 of half of a rice bowl Plain cooked rice.
- It's 1/2 of Toasted nori seaweed.
- Prepare of Bonito flakes version.
- Prepare 1 dash of Salt.
- You need 1/2 small of sachet Bonito flakes.
- You need 1 of Mayonnaise.
- It's of Pickled plum and shiso leaves version.
- It's 1 tsp of Pickled plum or pickled plum puree.
- You need 1 of leaf Shiso leaf.
See great recipes for Japanese Shrimp Tempura Onigiri (Rice Ball)② too! Tenmusu is a combination of two delicious Japanese foods: Tempura prawn and Omusubi(onigiri rice balls). This combination of flavours is so insanely delicious and is easily one of my favourite Japanese foods. It's easy to make and a great food to pack for lunch because you can eat it on the go!
Prawn Tempura Onigiri Rice Balls step by step
- Spread the rice on a nori sheet (like when you make sushi rolls), leaving one edge rice free..
- Bonito flake version: sprinkle a little salt and cover the center with bonito flakes, prawn tempura and mayonnaise..
- Pickled plum and shiso leaves version: if using pickled plum, mince first. Spread it on step 1 and place a shiso leaf and prawn tempura..
- Roll up the nori and rice from one end and it's done..
Imagine my surprise when one day, at an izakaya, ordering tempura ebi rice balls yielded what looked like my mom's deep-fried prawn perched a top an onigiri ball. The ebi tempura with rice wrapped in roasted laver and dipped in soy sauce is like a taste explosion in your mouth. To make the onigiri rice balls, first wet your palms with water and coat with a little bit of salt. Take a handful of rice and make an indent in the middle. Dip a shrimp into the soy sauce mixture, then place in the center of the rice.